Friday, February 6, 2009

Have A Drink On Me


If there is one drink that can bring the world together, it'd be a safe bet to say beer is the drink. In fact, beer is the third most popular drink only beaten by the likes of water and tea. Yes, there's nothing like having a few 'brewskies' with the lads and having a laugh. Take for example a friend of mine, she was sharing a bottle with me, and while I took a break from my beloved brew, she read the bottle and asked me "What's 'legger'?". "Its lager dear" was my instantaneous response, only for her to correct me with "Thats what I said, 'layger'. I must admit, one would have had to be present at the table to really appreciate our small conversation but a good laugh was shared by everyone. If you know me personally, you'd think of me, as one of my good friends says, a 'logical' person. Logical in this context, not as in logical thinking, but as being in possession of a wide array of useless general knowledge. So in my true 'logical' manner, lets discuss my beloved brew. 

As I mentioned before, beer is the third most popular drink in the world. Now, there are many different varieties of beer. The most popular being 'Lager' or 'Pale lager'. Good examples of 'Pale Lager' are "Heineken" from The Netherlands and 'Bitburger" from Germany. For those more accustomed to American beers, 'Budweiser' is another good example. I myself subscribe to the more European philosophy of life, with my priorities leading toward wine and women. The latter being, unfortunately, less successful than the former due to what I like to think as "hopeless-romanticism". Anyway, back to the point, and a very short point it was, I prefer European beers compared to their American counterparts. 

I'm not too much a liquor man, even 'liqueurs', which I must state, is totally different from liquor. Liqueurs, being alcoholic drinks flavored with or by fruit, herbs, nuts, spices, flowers, or cream, and bottled with added sugar. An perfect example of a liqueur is "Baileys". Liquor on the other hand, is a drinkable liquid containing ethanol, which is produced during the fermentation process. Examples of liquor are Vodka and Whiskey. 

Lately, I've had more time to enjoy life's luxuries. Take for example, lunchtime meals. If a little effort and time is put into this much overlooked daily activity, it can actually be very enjoyable, alone in a street-side cafe or at home with friends or family. As yours truly is living a bachelors life at this current time, a typical enjoyable lunch would consist of a gourmet sandwich; mostly salmon or roast beef topped off with fresh italian bread, a fresh green salad and either a beer or a glass of 'Reisling'; a German variety of white wine most commonly produced in the Rhine valley, although it is produced in many other regions of the world. Yes, I do love my food, food in fact, is a very important part of my life. I prefer white wines during the day, namely because I find red wine to be too 'heavy' for that time of day, its much more suited to dinner meals and other more 'romantic' situations.

On another note, I'd just like to mention a game that one of my friends and fellow bloggers recommended. I haven't had a chance to play it but if you are fans of the documentary "Supersize Me" or the book "Fast Food Nation"(A brilliant read if I must say so myself, you'll never see fast food in the same light after giving this a read.), if you just need something to pass the time give the 'McDonald's Videogame" a spin. Do excuse my lack of knowledge in the field of HTML, the game can be found at: www.mcvideogame.com 
Apologies again for not being able to post a direct link. And on that note, I say "Until next time.".

Thought of the day: "whats 'legger'?"
Song of the day: "Have A Drink On Me" - AC/DC
rockpaperscissors



No comments:

Post a Comment